Monday 19 July 2010

TOYAH AT THE CAVERN

1993
"I was waiting outside the other night and I heard the Toyah covers act you had on." The guy from Call Cars said, as his meter ticked over. "She sounded quite like her."
"No that WAS Toyah!" I replied, getting into the car.
"What THE Toyah, the taxi driver scoffed. "In the Cavern?"
I think he thought it was the Australian Toyah or something, because the Toyah Willcox he knew was a massive star, the LADY GAGA of the 80's, with a bunch of international hit singles like Be Proud, Be Loud (Be Heard) and Brave new World.
There's no way she'd play in a 200 capacity place like this.
Well he was wrong, because she in fact played two dates at the Cavern: 25/10/93 and 10/11/93.
She brought a bunch of young lads from her home town of Salisbury as a backing band.
Check ot the proto-GaGa at www.toyahwillcox.com

4 comments:

  1. The backing band was called Friday Forever and she made an album with them on Cassette only at the time called Leap, Friday Forever also did the support.

    I have a cassette of the gig from the 25th

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey matthew, my name is jolyon dixon, i was playing guitar for toyah at those cavern gigs, thats me in the pictures above..i'd love to get a copy of the cassette you have.. do you think you could get it onto a computer and mp3 it? worth an ask! my email is jolyondixon@yahoo.co.uk and i'd love to hear from you... thanks! all the best Jolyon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great album of rock it was perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I did some djing at one of her turns at the cavern. I thought it was during the day and it was something for charity. I remember putting this in the mix https://www.discogs.com/user/OldSkoolMusical/collection?search=one+dove One Dove: Why Don't You Take Me. which I had just bought and fallen in love with.

    ReplyDelete